ACSOL’s Conference Calls

Conference Call Recordings Online
Dial-in number: 1-712-770-8055, Conference Code: 983459

Monthly Meetings

Q4: 11/18 by phone [details]

General News

It’s finally here…A TEDMED talk about preventing child sexual abuse

[Johns Hopkins]

Last November Dr. Elizabeth Letourneau, director of the Moore Center for the Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse and professor in the Department of Mental Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, gave one of the most important talks of her life: A TEDMED talk about preventing child sexual abuse.

The talk weaves her experiences as a seasoned researcher who was surprised to learn that there were young adults attracted to children who made a decision to never offend against a child. A reporter named Luke Malone introduced her to this concept, and his reporting became a This American Life episode. From there, interest in this topic ballooned and eventually Letourneau was invited to share her story with the TEDMED audience and now that her talk has been released, she can share it everyone.

Read more

 

Join the discussion

  1. mike r

    Interesting concept, she claims 80% happen at institutions, the other 20% in the home…Hmmm,where are all the sex offenders that they are so worried about? Oh, and half of those are kid on kid. Like I said, interesting little piece there..

    • Double A

      I just wanted to point out you have some of her numbers reversed. 80% of the incidents happened in the home and 20% of the incidents happened in an institution.

      Like you said, it’s very interesting. When I was in county jail everyone shared info about their cases. Obviously, I didn’t take an official poll, but the majority of the people in there were involved with someone they knew. Whether it was an ex-girlfriend’s daughter, a stepdaughter, niece, or what have you, it was always someone they knew. I never met a person in there involved with a “stranger danger” case. I’m sure if a person was in there for that reason, they wouldn’t share it. For the most part, the numbers she claims seem to be on par with the dorm I was in at county.

      For the record, I was in a dorm with 96 people in it. I think there were 6 that were either a pastor, teacher, or coach.

  2. ab

    Here’s a link to the talk itself:

    http://tedmed.com/talks/show?id=620399

    Overall some good points are raised by her. Yet she misses an opportunity to introduce the bigger picture by not following through on her best findings. Despite correctly realizing child sex abuse can be prevented before it happens she unfortunately fails to make the connection to how prevention efforts focused on children and teenagers also leads to stopping those individuals from becoming offenders as adults. Moreover by mapping what occurs in childhood and adolescence that leads to an offense the roots of what might lead an adult to do something illegal are also revealed. So eventually all adult offenses can be prevented prior to occurrence as well.

  3. Bill

    Back in my day if it was kid on kid we just called it being curious and playing Doctor.

Leave a Reply

We welcome a lively discussion with all view points - keeping in mind...  
  • Your submission will be reviewed by one of our volunteer moderators. Moderating decisions may be subjective.
  • Please keep the tone of your comment civil and courteous. This is a public forum.
  • Please stay on topic - both in terms of the organization in general and this post in particular.
  • Please take personal conversations off this forum. Feel free to leave your contact info here.
  • Please refrain from copying and pasting repetitive and lengthy amounts of text.
  • Please do not post in all Caps.
  • If you wish to link to a serious and relevant media article, legitimate advocacy group or other pertinent web site / document, please provide the full link. No abbreviated / obfuscated links.
  • We suggest to compose lengthy comments in a desktop text editor and copy and paste them into the comment form
  • We will not publish any posts containing any names not mentioned in the original article.
  • Please choose a user name that does not contain links to other web sites
  • Please send any input regarding moderation to moderator [at] all4consolaws [dot] org
 

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please answer this question to prove that you are not a robot *