VIDEO: On August 28, 2012 the City Council of Lancaster, California unanimously approved the first reading of an ordinance restricting residency and presence of persons required to register as Sex Offenders. California RSOL attended the meeting and spoke in opposition and sent a letter in advance to the City Council.
This comprehensive ordinance includes (transcribed from Presentation by Criminal Justice Commission):
- A. Residency Restriction / proximity to schools and parks (per Jessica’s Law)
- B. Residency Restriction / multiple Registrants per residence / hotel
- C. Presence Restriction prohibits presence 300′ from school, day care, park, bus stop near park, public and private playgrounds, public library, public museum, public or private crisis center, shelters, arcades, youth sports facilities, amusement parks where children are present. Movies were not put in the ordinance as restricted places, since all movie theaters in Lancaster have an arcade and, as such, are covered. Exceptions:
- parent accompanying own child
- just walking by restricted area (must prove that not loitering)
- exercising constitutional rights (i.e. assembly, religion)
- lawfully employed within 300′ of restricted area
- placed by DOC
- D. Halloween (5 pm -11:59 pm)
- leave lights off
- not decorate
- not answer the door to children who are trick or treating
A violation of this ordinance would be a misdemeanor.