[dallasnews.com – 4/12/21] A convicted sex offender has been ruled ineligible to run for Arlington mayor, but his name will remain on the ballot because the deadline has passed to remove it, according to the city secretary’s office. Jerry Warden was one of eight candidates vying for the position of mayor. The city initially ruled that Warden could remain in the race after another candidate filed a complaint, but reversed that decision last week. Warden holds a lifetime listing on the Texas Public Sex Offenders Registry after being convicted in…
Read MoreCategory: National
MO: Convicted sex offender causes concern in Arnold neighborhood – ‘Terrified of him being around’
[kmov.com – 4/9/21] JEFFERSON COUNTY, Mo. (KMOV.com) — A convicted sex offender is not welcome in a Jefferson County neighborhood. Residents hoped a St. Louis County judge would revoke the bond of Korey ______ after a RING doorbell camera captured a potential bond violation. “I’m honestly just terrified of him being around,” said Morgan Pisoni who lives across the street from Korey ______ . Korey ______ is a former police officer who was previously convicted of molesting a boy under the age of 10 in 2007. Pisoni has a son…
Read MoreFL: Summerfield sex offender jailed after showing up a day late to register
[villages-news.com – 4/6/21] A Summerfield sex offender spent a night in jail last week after showing up a day late for his quarterly registration update. Eric Samuel ____, 50, of 9445 SE 162nd St., was convicted in Orange County in October 1997 of sexual battery on a victim under 12 by an adult. As a result, he was required to register as a sex offender and must re-register four times a year, in the months of June, September, December and March. … On the morning of Thursday, April 1, Eric…
Read MoreUT: Lawmaker wants voters to decide on time limits for raising old claims of sex abuse
[deseret.com – 4/7/21] Since the Utah Supreme Court struck down a state law reviving old claims of sexual abuse, a state lawmaker says she will propose a ballot measure allowing voters to effectively bring it back. “I’m committed to that,” Rep. Angela Romero, D-Salt Lake City, said Wednesday. “I will be doing that during the 2022 session.” Romero made the comment at a news conference recognizing April as Sexual Assault Awareness Month, saying it can take years for people to accept what happened to them early in life, often at…
Read MoreAZ: Charles Rodrick Indicted, Arrested by FBI
[ACSOL] Charles Roderick, who charged registrants up to $500 to remove their personal information from websites he created, was arrested today by the FBI and taken into custody. His arrest followed a grand jury indictment for a variety of felonies and misdemeanors. If convicted of those charges, Rodrick faces between 12 to 23 years in prison. According to reliable news sources, Rodrick was arrested in the Phoenix airport after returning from a vacation in Costa Rica. He is scheduled to appear in Maricopa Superior Court on April 14. In order…
Read MoreTN: Ruling could signal future change to Tennessee’s sex offender registry
[newschannel5.com – 4/7/21] NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — Could hundreds of sex offenders be removed from the state’s sex offender registry? That’s the worry from some victim advocates following a federal court decision this week affecting two convicted sex offenders in Tennessee. The lawsuit was filed by two anonymous convicted sex offenders, John Doe #1, and John Doe #2, who said Tennessee’s sex offender registry act should not apply to them. That law, passed in 2004, required the two to register as sex offenders and obey distance requirements when finding a…
Read MoreMT: Sodomy laws that labeled gay people sex offenders challenged in court
[nbcnews.com – 4/7/21] Nearly 20 years after the Supreme Court struck down laws criminalizing consensual same-sex activity, the legacy of sodomy bans is still felt across the United States. In 1993, then-18-year-old Randall Menges was charged under Idaho’s “crimes against nature” law for having sex with two 16-year-old males. All three worked and lived at Pratt Ranch, a cattle ranch in Gem County that doubled as a live-in foster program for troubled teenagers. Menges was convicted despite police reports indicating the activity was consensual, and the age of consent in…
Read MoreTN: Judge orders state to remove men from sex offender registry
A federal judge ruled Monday that Tennessee’s sex offender registration act is unconstitutional, at least as it was applied retroactively to two offenders. The ruling in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee affects only the two men who sued, identified in court documents as John Doe #1 and John Doe #2. “I think the ruling, while it is narrowly tailored to our clients, does open the door to the possibility of a class action,” attorney Ed Yarbrough said in an interview. U.S. District Judge Eli Richardson…
Read MoreMN: Minnesota House committee hears sex offender program’s request for funding
[msn.com – 4/6/21] The Minnesota House Capital Investment Committee learned more Tuesday about the proposed $17.8 million contained in Gov. Tim Walz’s bonding request for the Minnesota Sex Offender Program in St. Peter. The funding would renovate two buildings on the program’s campus, adding 30 beds to Community Preparation Services, as well as provide more programming and administrative space. Clients transferred to CPS continue treatment in a less restrictive setting that prepares them to integrate back into the community. Right now, all 89 beds at CPS are full, with about…
Read MoreBiden admin announces next steps in overhauling Betsy DeVos’ Title IX rules [including sexual misconduct cases]
[news.yahoo.com – 4/6/21] The Education Department announced plans Tuesday to hold a public hearing on how schools ought to handle sexual misconduct cases as the first step in a planned overhaul of Title IX regulations. In a letter released by the Education Department, the hearing is described as a chance for students, parents, school officials and advocates to weigh in before the Biden administration offers its proposal for how K-12 schools and colleges receiving public funding must respond to allegations of sexual assault and harassment. The department has not yet…
Read MoreAction Alert for Florida: CALL IMMEDIATELY to oppose April 6 hearing on SB 932 (Prohibits Parental Timesharing with their minor child)
[floridaactioncommittee.org – 4/5/21] Floridians, take immediate action: email or call the senators TONIGHT or early morning before 9:30 AM Eastern on April 6. Florida Senate Bill 932 is on the Agenda to go before the Rules Committee tomorrow 04/06/21 at 9:30 am. We are calling on all members to contact the members of the Senate Rules Committee by calling and emailing them via the information below, and asking them to OPPOSE SB 932. Please remember to be polite and professional. Remember, they (absent Senator Book) were not the one introducing…
Read MoreMN: Apple Valley settles lawsuit over sex offender residency
[hometownsource.com – 4/1/21] The city of Apple Valley has agreed to settle a class action federal lawsuit filed in 2020 that challenges the constitutionality of a 2017 city ordinance that limits where some sex offenders can live in the community. The Apple Valley City Council, without discussion, approved a settlement agreement as part of the consent agenda during its March 25 meeting. According to the agreement, one payment of $70,000 will be made to “resolve all claims for damages, fees and costs.” Of that total, two plaintiffs will reach receive…
Read MoreNY: Town of Rotterdam, police department face lawsuit over arrest
[dailygazette.com – 3/31/21] A man who was falsely arrested by the Rotterdam Police Department for improperly submitting a photo for the sex offender registry list is now suing the department and the town over the four days he spent in jail. William Harwood filed paperwork March 25 in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York seeking a jury trial and damages after he said he suffered emotional distress from the incident. Harwood, who is representing himself, said in court documents that in 2018 he was required to provide…
Read MoreMN: What last week’s Supreme Court ruling actually said — and didn’t say — about sexual assault and drinking in Minnesota
[minnpost.com – 4/1/21] A 20-year-old woman was standing outside a Dinkytown bar in May 2017 when a man, along with his male cousin and another male friend, invited her and her friend to a party. They agreed, and the man drove them to a house. But when they arrived, there was no party. After arriving at the house, the woman — who had been denied entrance from the bar earlier for being overly intoxicated — passed out on a couch. She later woke up to the man, Francois Monulu Khalil,…
Read MoreNY: 7-year-old charged with rape, lawyer calls it ‘absurd’
[wwnytv.com – 3/29/21] BRASHER FALLS, N.Y. (WWNY) – A 7-year-old boy from Brasher Falls has been charged with rape. State police didn’t release much information, but said the unidentified child was charged with third-degree rape on March 23. Troopers say the incident was reported on Thanksgiving. The child was cited and released. The case will be handled in Family Court. Police say the investigation is continuing. We spoke with a New York City attorney, who is with a group that handles youth defense cases. “Instinctually, it shouldn’t happen that a…
Read MoreFL: Whatever happened to the “Solicitation for Prostitution Registry”?
[floridaactioncommittee.org – 3/29/21] in 2019, the Florida Legislature passed a Bill sponsored by Senator Lauren Book (SB 540) that was titled “Human Trafficking”. … The Bill passed and was signed into law, creating Florida Statute 943.0433, the “Solicitation for Prostitution Registry”. Individuals who committed the offense(s) on or after January 1, 2021 and are convicted (regardless of adjudication) on or after January 1, 2021 are currently being placed on the Soliciting for Prostitution Public Database. So far there are none. Read the full article and the see the empty registry…
Read MoreFL: Volusia County residents mistakenly get text alert about sex offender moving in nearby
[clickorlando.com – 3/30/21] Text should have only been sent to certain DeLand residents Parker Lee Sharpley (Volusia County Sheriff’s Office) VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. – Many Volusia County residents received a text alert Tuesday afternoon telling them that a sex offender had moved in nearby but for most of them, that wasn’t actually the case. The Volusia County Sheriff’s Office said the message about Parker Lee _____, 37, should have only been sent to those who live within 1,000 feet of his new address, which is 1450 2nd Ave. in DeLand.…
Read MoreMT: Federal judge to rule on sex offender registration for ‘gay sex’ convictions
[kpvi.com – 3/30/21] The Montana Attorney General’s Office opposed removing a former Missoula man from the state’s sexual offender registry despite evidence he was designated a sex offender because he had consensual “gay sex” when he was 18 years old. At a trial held Tuesday before U.S. District Court Judge Dana L. Christensen, Assistant Attorney General Hannah Tokerud argued the case did not hinge on whether the man, Randall _____, was convicted for having consensual sex. “It hinges on whether he is required to register in Idaho,” Tokerud said. If…
Read More