ACSOL’s Conference Calls

Conference Call Recordings Online
Dial-in number: 1-712-770-8055, Conference Code: 983459

Monthly Meetings | Recordings (01/15 Recording Uploaded)
Emotional Support Group Meetings

Recording of Emergency ACSOL meeting about new SORNA regulations




Republicans are leading an effort to get rid of blanket restrictions on where some people with sex-offense records can live. A Democratic governor is blocking them. Full Article

We welcome a lively discussion with all view points - keeping in mind...  
  1. Your submission will be reviewed by one of our volunteer moderators. Moderating decisions may be subjective.
  2. Please keep the tone of your comment civil and courteous. This is a public forum.
  3. Swear words should be starred out such as f*k and s*t
  4. Please stay on topic - both in terms of the organization in general and this post in particular.
  5. Please refrain from general political statements in (dis)favor of one of the major parties or their representatives.
  6. Please take personal conversations off this forum.
  7. We will not publish any comments advocating for violent or any illegal action.
  8. We cannot connect participants privately - feel free to leave your contact info here. You may want to create a new / free, readily available email address.
  9. Please refrain from copying and pasting repetitive and lengthy amounts of text.
  10. Please do not post in all Caps.
  11. If you wish to link to a serious and relevant media article, legitimate advocacy group or other pertinent web site / document, please provide the full link. No abbreviated / obfuscated links.
  12. We suggest to compose lengthy comments in a desktop text editor and copy and paste them into the comment form
  13. We will not publish any posts containing any names not mentioned in the original article.
  14. Please choose a short user name that does not contain links to other web sites or identify real people
  15. Please do not solicit funds
  16. If you use any abbreviation such as Failure To Register (FTR), or any others, the first time you use it please expand it for new people to better understand.
  17. All commenters are required to provide a real email address where we can contact them.  It will not be displayed on the site.
  18. Please send any input regarding moderation or other website issues via email to moderator [at] all4consolaws [dot] org
ACSOL, including but not limited to its board members and agents, does not provide legal advice on this website.  In addition, ACSOL warns that those who provide comments on this website may or may not be legal professionals on whose advice one can reasonably rely.  
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

This only would have applied to the handful of people each year that are released from the civil commitment under Chapter 980. It would not have helped the vast majority of registered persons in Wisconsin who are subject to the various residency restrictions in place all over the state. The proper response to the problem which the state govt created with the 980 program is to do away with it.

If the state wants to help the rest of us registered persons, they could preempt the local restrictions. Of course, the last time they wanted to do that the plan was to create an even more onerous restriction that would have had no grandfather clause and only provided 90 days to move if in violation. And, the distance was set so far that nearly all the housing in towns & cities would have been off limits.

Probably the most difficult to work around is the ‘original domicile’ rules, which state that if you were not living in the jurisdiction at the time of your offense/conviction you can’t move there later on. In other words, many are stuck where they are with no where to go. Not even if they find a place that meets all the other distance requirements.

My community instituted a residency restriction based on distance. I was grandfathered in since I was here before the ordinance. However, since I was not a resident at the time of my offense/conviction, I would not be permitted to every move to another house in this town since that would constitute establishing a new residence.

I also can’t move to the surrounding communities since they also have an ordinance with the ‘original domicile’ rule.

Most ridiculous, is that the only jurisdiction in this corner of the state I could move to would be the town where I committed my offense, which is also the town where my victims lived/live. Meaning that the one place it makes no sense for me to go is the one where I am permitted, but then only if I can meet the absurd distance restrictions.

I currently reside in Waukesha.
My son was offered a place to live with another sex offender this past spring. DOC said he couldn’t live there because the sex offender density to child ratio would be to high, even though it is in compliance with the 750ft child safety zone.
I asked DOC what I was supposed to do when trying to buy a house . I was told by DOC to write in my offer to purchase, “pending DOC approval”.
Now not only do I have to find housing that complies with the child saftey zone, I have to contend with some arbitrary un written rule.

My son as revoked at the end of May on a technicality. He will now be homeless when he is released this November.

Unfortunately, when someone is on parole/probation the agents have a huge amount of power to set rules, as long as they can lump them into one of many very broad categories.

I was also supervised out of the Waukesha office, and as bad as it seems there I found that they were much more sane about how they implemented DOC guidelines than offices in surrounding counties. Believe it or not. The one thing that really helped me was to pre-plan everything I wanted to do very far in advance, and to never surprise my agent with anything. Attitude is everything when working with the DOC.

I went through the same thing when we were buying our house – we luckily were able to submit locations for approval before making an offer since my agent was at least willing to approve/disapprove quickly. My impression was that the agents don’t want the people they’re supervising to be homeless either, as it creates a huge work load for them.

My suggestion is to find a realtor that you can work with. Not one that works for a major corporate office, but a small-town individual realtor. Not just an agent either, but a realtor. Ask around at church or where you work for someone. You want to be able to discuss all this with him/her freely, so you need a person that understands and is willing to help. That realtor will be a huge help in you being able to find a place.

My first place after prison was found after my attorney placed an ad in the real estate section of the newspaper which read something like, “Sex offender being released from prison seeks country home or apartment for rent.” He placed the ad with his office phone number so my family wouldn’t be subject to harassment, but there were no problems. It was an odd ad, and we knew that not many would respond. But, if someone had a place which was appropriate and needed rent maybe they would. I got lucky, and found that there are some landlords out there willing to look past the offense.

Maybe we need to form a local support group so that advice and guidance could be offered to those trying to make it through supervision. And if not directly to those in the system, perhaps to their family members. There are ways to make this work and get through it.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x