The alleged actions by James Fairbanks has registered sex offenders concerned for their safety.
Police say Fairbanks murdered registered sex offender Mattieo Condoluci on May 14 at his home. Prosecutors say he sent an email to media outlets saying he saw his sex offender registry information, and couldn’t let him hurt any other children.
In 2011, “Jay” was convicted of sexual assault of a child when he says he got into an online relationship with a girl he didn’t know was underage. He didn’t want to use his full name but says someone could see him with his own children, and do the same thing that happened a couple weeks ago.
“God forbid if somebody were to have that mindset that previous situations have shown and drive by and see that and take my life and victimize me in someone way not knowing that these are my children assuming that I’m a predator. I’m a father, I’m a human being,” “Jay” explained.
In 1997, the Sex Offender Registry Law was enacted. The information was previously only given to law enforcement.
UNO Criminology Professor Doctor Laura Sample says the public was never informed of how to use the info provided by the registry.
Ex-wife claims man killed sex offender in effort to protect neighborhood children [fox42kptm.com – 5/19/20]