ACSOL’s Conference Calls

Conference Call Recordings Online
Dial-in number: 1-712-770-8055, Conference Code: 983459

Monthly Meetings | Recordings (11/20 Recording Uploaded)
Emotional Support Group Meetings


Living with 290

Living with 290: Moving to California

I was convicted in Virginia of Misdemeanor Indecent Exposure and Misdemeanor Public Sexual Display. I am ashamed of what I did. My offense occurred while I was blacked out from drinking too much. I take full responsibilities for my actions. I am not giving you any excuses. Just facts. I am a Military Veteran and Ex Police Officer who has been diagnosed with PTSD. I do not have to register as a sex offender here in Virginia.

The problem I am having is I need to be with my family. I have over two years sober now and have no family support here. I am currently stuck here until I am off supervised probation. I was born and raised in California. I left over 20 years ago to go into the Military. I want to move home so I can be with my family again. Because of 290, I feel I am barred from California. If I was to move home, I would have to register as a sex offender.

No Thank you.

- - - - - - - - -

View all user submitted stories about Living with 290. Feel free to add yours - as a registrant, family member or friend. Please submit any updates on your story via the comments section on this page. Please use the comments below ONLY for input on the story on this page. To add a new story, click here.
We welcome a lively discussion with all view points - keeping in mind...  
  1. Your submission will be reviewed by one of our volunteer moderators. Moderating decisions may be subjective.
  2. Please keep the tone of your comment civil and courteous. This is a public forum.
  3. Swear words should be starred out such as f*k and s*t
  4. Please stay on topic - both in terms of the organization in general and this post in particular.
  5. Please refrain from general political statements in (dis)favor of one of the major parties or their representatives.
  6. Please take personal conversations off this forum.
  7. We will not publish any comments advocating for violent or any illegal action.
  8. We cannot connect participants privately - feel free to leave your contact info here. You may want to create a new / free, readily available email address.
  9. Please refrain from copying and pasting repetitive and lengthy amounts of text.
  10. Please do not post in all Caps.
  11. If you wish to link to a serious and relevant media article, legitimate advocacy group or other pertinent web site / document, please provide the full link. No abbreviated / obfuscated links.
  12. We suggest to compose lengthy comments in a desktop text editor and copy and paste them into the comment form
  13. We will not publish any posts containing any names not mentioned in the original article.
  14. Please choose a short user name that does not contain links to other web sites or identify real people
  15. Please do not solicit funds
  16. If you use any abbreviation such as Failure To Register (FTR), or any others, the first time you use it please expand it for new people to better understand.
  17. All commenters are required to provide a real email address where we can contact them.  It will not be displayed on the site.
  18. Please send any input regarding moderation or other website issues via email to moderator [at] all4consolaws [dot] org
ACSOL, including but not limited to its board members and agents, does not provide legal advice on this website.  In addition, ACSOL warns that those who provide comments on this website may or may not be legal professionals on whose advice one can reasonably rely.  
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Surely there are other states you could live in that will also not require registration, and you should strongly consider living in one of those. Perhaps AZ or another one close to California. DON’T live anywhere you have to register for it will always follow you. Think it is hard now, wait until your face is put on the internet under a sex offender registry label. Think anyone will hire you after that? That is my advice.

I would consider Southern Oregon, it is as close of living in CA without the hassle.

I really don’t know what to say , I am PTSD from prison , and having to reg don’t help it much , being around people that love you helps that part of your problem with the ptsd , as well as a little 420 , you know weed? , and you can get a doctor out here to help with that , I don’t know where your people live in CA , but I would not just move any ole place! do your home work , I am doing home work and I have been at it for 25 or so years , but I can come to this site and read stuff by people that are new to all this , and some of them have a better understanding of all this than I do ,so no matter what you do , get ready for a long life study , it could mean the difference between what freedom you have now , and Zero freedom , anyway good luck to you and yours

Well, here are a few thoughts. Finish your probation and get your charges dismissed? As such, the indecent exposure is a registerable offense here in Ca, if I’m not mistaken? I doubt this is the case in most states. No offense, but would never move if in fact you have to register! I would expunge the offense, get a good job and visit family periodically, I plead to a misdemeanor sexual battery sum 20 years ago/expunged/non formal probation, and I’m still registering!

Follow the very sound and wise advise of USA…really. No joke, don’t play around with this…you have no idea of your potential life-long risk. Best Wishes, James

I plead guilty to voyeurism 1st degree in wa state and released just recently my family is in Fresno and my father has allowed me to move there I have no school restrictions that I’m aware of here but I do have a no contact of minors for 1 year I believe while on DOC my doc officer is allowing me to interstate compact to fresno and what I’m wondering is what to expect with having to register there in California as I am able to be released from the duty after doc is over here in was but it’s a 10 year max are the teir levels harsher there or easier any help is appreciated thank you

The first thing I would do even now is to get the opinion of a lawyer well-versed in California sex offender law. Keep in mind state officials will not help you directly because they don’t have your best interests.

One of the California RSOL board members, attorney Chance X. Oberstein, is actually well-qualified for this very purpose. He gives a reasonable fee, and there is absolutely no legal authority in California who has more experience with personal sex offender legal issues. You get the best of all worlds: A small reasonable fee (I can’t mention specifics here, but it’s low), a laywer highly knowledgable about the law, and best of all, you keep everything in the family, so to speak.

This goes for any potential or current California resident who may have issues with potential registration.

Avoid California residency!! I, too, have Misdemeanor Indecent Exposure, Lifetime 290. I, too, was drunk, arrested at 2:30 AM eating in a Del Taco parking lot after flashing that drive-thru cashier. Unfortunately, I hired the wrong lawyer (a strong DUI lawyer, but not versed in SO offenses) and will pay the price until I die.

I am not on Megan’s List, but worry about getting jailed for forgetting the annual Registration requirement.

I currently live in SE California close to Yuma, AZ. I have a motorhome and have stayed at a BLM park which is off the grid. While there, I was considered a transient and was required to register every 30 days. Now I am in an RV park and everything is working well. Since I travel from park to park, I will be leaving this area before summer looking for a cooler stay in Idaho or Oregon. From one of the comments above, it was mentioned that southern Oregon is less hassle. Can anyone else verify this? I was also told by another source that Washington is good. Does anyone know? Thanks

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x